Dear sex addict,
I am sick of your existence. I am sick of feeling filthy and inferior to everyone because of you. I am sick of having to hide the influence you have on a certain part of my life. I am sick of having a terrible secret that stands in stark contrast to the rest of my life. I am sick of going to a Bible college and still being addicted to pornography and masturbation. I am sick of working at a church as a counselor without the ability to ditch porn and masturbation for good. I am sick of feeling like I cannot control myself. I am sick of being sober for two days over and over again only to let you take control again. You have ruined my life in countless ways. You have separated me from God innumerable times in innumerable ways. You have burned images of evil into my mind forever and permanently ruined the innocence and purity that I–as a child of God–should have. You have made me desire to become a pornographer. You have made me desire to have promiscuous and degrading sex with complete strangers in real life. You have made me seek out more violent porn and distorted my understanding of meaningful, loving sex between a husband and wife. Because of this, I am no longer going to let you take control of my life. I am going to send you back from whence you came. Here are some ways I am going to do this:
1. I will take care of my body through daily exercise and a healthier diet.
2. I will spend time daily with the Lord in meaningful prayer and meditation.
3. I will get accountable with a godly person that I can trust.
4. I will monitor my internet activity with the help of my accountability partner.
5. I will attempt to make every thought obedient to God, which will lead me to view women as my co-heirs with Christ.
6. I will no longer allow myself to be put in situations where I may be led to let you take control.
7. I will educate myself about your ways and shut down every one of them.
8. I will remember that God’s grace is unimaginably bigger than your power, and His grace never disappoints.
I hope you’re ready to drop the gloves. You may think you’re fighting me, but you’re not. You’re fighting Almighty God, and (last time I checked) He’s undefeated. Hit us with your best shot.
Have a nice life,
Redeemed and free.