Somewhere I got the idea that if you find a professional and pay them enough money they can fix anything. This was my “ace in the hole” regarding my addiction to pornography. I always figured that if it got bad enough, I could find a good counselor and get fixed. I have seen a few counselors about my addiction but that didn’t really go anywhere. Seems like it always got sidetracked into marriage therapy or something. I have read books by counselors that seem to know what they are talking about and may or may not be helpful in person.
Because I am a follower of Jesus I picked Christian counselors so I don’t have any experience with secular counselors.
So I have some questions for you. Don’t feel that you have to answer all the questions below to have input. Please share with us your experience with counselors of any type.
- Did you go to a Christian, secular, or other faith counselor?
- Did it help you to reach your goals in recovery or sobriety?
- Do you know what your recovery goals are?
- What was good about it?
- What was not good?
- Would you recommend this to your best friend?
- Would you recommend this to your worst enemy?
- What is the best “take away” that you got from your experience?
- Are you more hopeful for full recovery now, after counseling, or less hopeful?
- Did you do the work they recommended or was it too much for you?
May you find your real joy and purpose,