I have had the pleasure of knowing and in some cases working Sheila Wray Gregoire for a couple years now. I have appeared on her podcast a couple of times and she likewise has done interviews for me specifically for the benefit of the Live Free Community.
Sheila is a researcher, speaker, and best-selling author focused on talking about sex, sexuality, and fighting many of the toxic messages to women regarding these topics common in the evangelical world. She’s honest, raw, and isn’t afraid to rock a few boats in the process which coincidentally is one of the reasons I think we get along so well.
I’ve often recommend her previous books The Great Sex Rescue, The Good Guy’s Guide to Great Sex, and The Good Girl’s Guide to Great Sex. Consequently, when I found out about her new book She Deserves Better I had to interview her so I could share this book with our audience – specifically the parents out there.
In this candid conversation we talk about the following:
- How can youth groups create problems for young women?
- How have certain teachings common in the evangelical church negatively impacted a female’s self-esteem?
- The impact of purity culture.
- What should we be teaching our teens about sex?
- What dating rules should we be passing along to our children?
- How can a parent start having these conversations with their kids?
- What should you do if you are in a church culture where damaging messaging about sex and sexuality is present?
- And more
If you are parent this video and Sheila’s new book are great resources for you so please check both out.