Happy May Day Y’all…
So let’s see…what’s up in the media this week:
1) When it comes to the vital importance of children being raised in a two-parent household, aside from the stats of what a child is up against when they’re not (there’s actually a documentary coming out that addresses this very thing), there’s a verse in the Bible that I think speaks quite well on the issue: “God made husbands and wives to become one body and one spirit for his purpose—so they would have children who are true to God.” (Malachi 2:15-NCV) That said, I really do wish the media would stop making it so “in” for kids to not have both parents. Like what is up with new reality series Pregnant and Dating? Starting a relationship with one man while pregnant with another…I’ll put it tihs way. When I was a teen mom director, that was something that we *strongly discouraged soon-to-be-moms from doing*. Their emotional state alone proved to make it an unwise decision and starting a new relationship with another guy is *the last thing* that a pregnant woman needs. Being a single mom means her plate is already pretty full. Moving on…
2) Speaking of the media sending some crazy messages, I peeped yet another study that claims that porn has a minimal effect on young people’s minds (you *can’t* be serious): “If anything the sexually explicit material we create helps to lead viewers to explore and embrace sex with their partners, lovers and friends more freely with less judgments.” I don’t know who they polled but they should talk to some of the teens who write into us. They tell a *totally different* story.
3) A “sex superbug”. Greaaaaat. Yep, I also read that there’s a strain of gonorrea that they’re claiming could be “worse than AIDS” (WORSE THAN AIDS?!?). Reportedly, it’s resistant to antibiotics and superbugs are known to kill approximately half of the people they attack. That’s enough to keep me holding on with abstinence for at least six more months. 😉
4) Being that I get a lot of emails from married women who share that one of the biggest challenges with their husbands watching porn is that they don’t end up having sex with them, I did find something that the Huffington Post is currently doing to be interesting. After an article was published in the Wall Street Journal citing that women don’t want sex as much as men (I believe that depends on the women you ask), HP decided to open up the floor and ask women who do have strong sex drives to write in. Honestly, I don’t think it’s that so many men want to have sex more than women. I think it’s that a lot of women don’t want to *settle for the kind of sex* that men oftentimes offer. (Just sayin’)
5) And finally…Time magazine did a piece in its tech section on how you can block porn for all of those who own Apple products. It’s pretty thorough and you can check it out here.
We’re always open for your comments. Please chime in.