I want to share some practical ways you can get help with your sexual struggles.
ONE EXTREME CAUTION
You can’t do this by yourself. We sexual strugglers have a bad history of isolating – some of us for several decades. We are in hiding and we’d like to manage this on our own. You can’t. Porn, masturbation, adultery, or any type of sexual sin is too big. I am sharing some self-education suggestions, but the majority of this blog pointing you toward other people who can help you.
Victory comes through God, yes, but God has a many arms and legs that need to come alongside you.
GREAT ORGANIZATIONS THAT CAN HELP
If you contact these ministries, you’re going to find something you don’t expect – a “No Shame Zone”. They will not judge you or shame you. Your sexual struggles won’t surprise them. They have are part of God’s provision for you.
xxxchurch.com – we gotta mention this, right?
www.sexaddict.com – Sexual addiction expert Dr. Doug Weiss.
HOW TO FIND A CHRISTIAN COUNSELOR
www.aacc.net – American Association of Christian Counselors
www.abcst.org – American Board of Christian Sex Therapists
www.aasect.org – American Association of Sex Educators, Counselors, and Therapists
HOW TO FIND A GROUP
Start with these organizations
www.celebraterecovery.com – “Groupfinder” button, top right
www.puredesire.org – “Get Help” tab; “Find a Group”
www.bebroken.com – right side, “Support Groups” button
http://www.freedomeveryday.org – top right, “Find a Support Group”
www.sa.org – Sexual Addicts groups, secular, 12-step
How to Google search for a group in your area
Since most groups are not advertised you have to do a little digging.
- Look for churches with strong men’s ministries. Usually larger churches with good websites.
- Look for Christian counselors in the area and call their offices. They know where the “under the radar” support groups are, and they might have one themselves.
- Carefully Google these terms: “Christian sexual addiction groups”, “sexual addiction groups”, “recovery groups”, “addiction recovery” and then include your city or state in the search.
ORGANIZATIONS THAT DO TELEPHONE GROUPS
GREAT PODCASTS (all on I-Tunes)
Top Tips For Sexual Purity Podcast – Jeff Fisher of www.porntopurity.com (that’s me)
Pure Sex Radio Podcast – Be Broken Ministries
Purity For Life Podcast – Pure Life Ministries
Blazing Grace Podcast – Blazing Grace Ministries
Breaking Free by Russell Willingham
Healing the Wounds of Sexual Addiction by Dr. Mark Laaser
L.I.F.E. Guide for Men – a great workbook by Dr. Mark Laaser
Pure Desire by Ted Roberts
Every Man’s Battle by Fred Stoeker
GREAT COMPUTER PROTECTION
A huge defensive strategy. You need content filters for your computers and mobile devices. You also need Accountability Software for all devices.
A FEW MORE TIPS FROM JEFF
- Always move toward face-to-face. Emailing is great, talking on the phone is better, but you need real people helping you on a regular basis.
- Be courageous! You can do it. Man up! Woman up!
- Do you really want help? Your commitment to reaching out shows how serious you really are. Some people say they want to get well, but they love their addiction too much. Don’t be one of those people.
- Keep looking. I’ve given you the best I know in organizations. I don’t think they’ll disappoint. Sometimes counselors or groups don’t work out. Keep trying. Don’t stop if one doesn’t go right.